Monday, January 2, 2012

Resolutions and Goals for the New Year

No drawings this time. I figure now would be a good time to re-assess the direction me and my art (*snort*) and make some resolutions and at least try to keep them.

I don't know if its apparent in the tone of some of my posts from last year but in between updates, I would get really depressed and discouraged in what I was doing. The way I saw it, nobody read or looked at my blog so I was questioning the point of posting or bothering with it at all. I shouldn't be.

Art makes me happy. Drawing makes me happy or it used to before I saw something I wanted to be and saw what other people were doing cartoon-wise and it just completely expanded my horizon on what I could do, could accomplish. Anybody who saw my very first attempt at the Preston Blair studies vs. the most recent ones can see how far I've come. The whole thing made me completely rethink my whole drawing technique up to that point and I'm better for it. 

Also what I think was a big problem was how isolated I felt. I asked other peoples' advice but I guess I was under the impression I needed guidance or some kind of mentor. Hopefully that will change because starting later this month, I'll be taking a proper art class (Drawing I, just to see where I stack up) so I don't feel like I have to suffer alone. It will have been three years since I've had a proper art class (Intro. to Computer Graphics was last semester but I didn't do a lot of drawing.) and I miss the feedback...or the pestering. However you want to look at it. :)

Anyway, here are the things I want to work on this year for sure:
1. Work on full-body poses. 
2. Learn from everything and learn to apply it in what I do
3. Not to fall too hard on copying 
4. Actually start making comics. Honestly, if this year I don't get around to doing comics now, I will have to punch myself violently. I really have no excuse to put it off so much. 
4. Learn a variety of styles
5. Try new things

And I also plan to update here more. I kind of wanted to do posts about artists I like Salvador Dali and the Surrealist painters but I never got around to it. I should amend that. 



3 comments:

  1. Starting a blog can be really discouraging at times. With over a million blogs in the universe it can be hard to get found and noticed. Your goals sound marvelous and more than achievable! If you ever need any help with the blog, let me know. Although I have only be really blogging for less than two months I have learned a lot I would be more than happy to share with you! I am going to quote one of my netspace friends, because it is soooo true, "Do what you love, and others will love what you do". The best way to look at this journey!

    Love & Lollies... Jessa

    Confessions of the Cupcake Countessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've come a long way, keep it up! Don't let other people bring you down. Jessa has really great advice. :)

    I'd love to see what you can come up with this year, I bet you have some really great ideas. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anonymous! Well, once my laptop is fixed, then maybe I can post some of the stuff I've been drawing :)

      Delete